Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Music

So, this evening, I agreed to accompany my son while he practiced violin, though my piano skills are only slightly good enough for most of the entry-level Suzuki piano parts.

Having spent several years learning to sing challenging vocal music in which one has to hold one's own part regardless of what else is going on, I thought it would be fun to try with my 7-year-old. I asked him if he could play the piece again while I played something completely unrelated and weird on the piano. Not only did he do it, afterward, he said, "That actually sounded pretty good! I really mean it!", meaning our odd, aleatoric composition was somehow pleasing to his particular musical ear.

I totally didn't expect that. (Sigh.) His uncles would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment