Then, coincidentally, this morning, there was an article on the local TV news about a nasty company who has done just that to scam people: created a business with a local number here and a business name ("Company Scam", for our purposes) that is similar enough to a well-established local business ("Company Legit") that it generates confusion among customers. They've managed to get higher Google rankings as well, so they're the first click for a lot of people.
So, here's the scene:
- Customer finds Company Scam through Google
- Company Scam charges 3X for bad work
- Customer contacts the BBB or another Google search to complain
- Customer calls Company Legit (thinking they are Company Scam) to complain
So, Company Legit is getting a reputation for bad work.
Search Google for minneapolis locksmith. Which would you choose? It's hard, isn't it?
Lessons to be learned:
- Just because it's on Google doesn't mean it's good.
- Just because it has a local number doesn't mean it's local.
- A high ranking doesn't mean it's the best business.
- Do your research.
- And do business with reputable, local companies where you can, like Minneapolis Lock and Key.