This year's theme: TOOLS.
I've been in several meetings where IT people have asked what tool we use for usability, or Agile, or design. I am surprised that people assume that having a tool gives you the ability to implement these practices effectively.
- For Agile, we don't use Rally: we use spreadsheets (SharePoint lists, to be precise).
- For Design, we use everything from Dreamweaver to Notepad to paper and digital cameras.
- For Usability, we use everything from Morae to paper. Yup, paper.
Get it? It's not the tool. It's the process, skills, and oversight of both. In other words:
- Having Project doesn't make you a skilled project manager.
- Having Word doesn't make you a best-selling author.
- Having a toolbox doesn't mean you can build a home that would meet code.
Learn what it's about first. You are the tool.