Monday, March 12, 2012

Mobile web design

Good post from designm.ag regarding mobile web design:


http://designm.ag/tutorials/tips-for-designing-a-compact-website-layout/


I have one beef: he mentions how to disallow user being able to pinch to zoom using an attribute in a viewport meta tag: user-scalable=no

I must say: this is my main frustration with "mobile-optimized" sites--when the designer doesn't allow zoom. I don't understand why you'd ever want to do this, because often users zoom because you made the font too small. It's an accessibility option granted by the default software that you are overriding to preserve your design.

"That's your opinion," says the designer.
"Yes, it is, and I'm your user," says me. "If I can't read your site, then your design is moot."



No comments:

Post a Comment